Total Cost: $4426.40 (CAD)
- Preparation – $367.20
- Transportation – $1826.04
- Lodging – $877.54
- Food – $844.04
- Tours – $261.34
- Miscellaneous – $250.24
Note: Everything is in Canadian dollars.
Note 2: I did 4-week (28 days), but the first day and the last day were mostly spent up in the air.
Preparation – $367.20
I did not have much travel gear, so I bought a lot. I don’t recall the exact list, but here are some of the following:
- Backpack (Gregory Stash Duffle)
- Wind breaker (MEC Yoho – it’s discontinued but I think I paid around $60)
- Day bag (Travelon Anti-Theft Cross-Body Bag)
- Battery pack (Anker)
- Travel liquid bottles (GSI bottle set – the reviews are horrible but I loved them)
- Booklight, notebook, pens
- Ziploc’s, and some other small miscellaneous things
Transportation – $1826.04
I bought tickets for longer trips ahead:
- Flight from Toronto to Copenhagen
- Flight from Copenhagen to Amsterdam
- Flight from Geneva to Nice
- Flight from Nice to Barcelona
- Flight from Barcelona to Toronto
- Train from Amsterdam to Bruges
- Train from Brussels to Luxembourg City
And of course, there were many small trips including shorter train rides and local transit fares. I was staying at a friend’s place near Zurich for 5 days, so I saved on lodging and spent more on transportation. I think it evened out in the end, because transportation in Switzerland was not cheap. I stayed about 3 nights in one city.
For the record, the main flight ticket (Toronto -> Copenhagen, Barcelona -> Toronto) was $899.36.
Lodging – $877.54
I made all my reservations through hihostel or hostelworld about couple months in advance. Again, I stayed at a friend’s for about five nights so lodging cost was lower than anticipated. It was normally between 30 and 40 dollars a night.
- Reservation fees – $163.86
- Week 1 – $218.60
- Week 2 – $243.04
- Week 3 – $40.32 (Switzerland)
- Week 4 – $211.72
Food – $844.04
I did splurge quite a bit on food. I went to a lot of sit-down restaurants (although not super fancy). I think I tried to save a bit in the beginning and went all-out in the end.
- Week 1 – $118.54
- Week 2 – $204.26
- Week 3 – $292.38 (Switzerland…)
- Week 4 – $228.86
Tour – $261.34
These are mostly admission fees, tour fees (ex. boat tour) and tips for tour guides. I did not go to that many museums.
Miscellaneous – $250.24
Gifts, locker fees, public bathroom fees, etc., and $47.25 that I lost when I misplaced my travel wallet.